Dating comtoise clocks
() In the 19th century a fashion for over-large pendulums and bobs of stamped and painted brass or sheet iron developed ().
After the Treaty of Frankfurt in 1871 German clocks were allowed into France without tax, which weakened the trade in the Franche-Comt despite diversification of output.
The hook that has been fitted above the bell, serves to strengthen the pendulum suspension housing.
*Apart from Morbier, the Jura had several clock-making centres in Morez, Foncine le Bas, Chapelle aux Bois, Belle Fontaine, Fort du Plne (Plasne) Poligny and St. On the Langres Plateau the best-known centres were the city of Langres and the adjacent Neuilly l'Archevque.
In the region of the Haut-Sane, Luxeuil, Lure Yussy and Vesoul have become well known.
A form of provincial, weight-driven clock originally made in the vicinity of Morbier in the Franche*-Comt region of France (Conte in the old spelling), near the Swiss frontier, from the late 17th century to the beginning of the 20th.
They are sometimes called Morez clocks or Morbier clocks, from place names in the area.